Friday, December 5, 2008

What could have been

Its X-Ring week in Antigonish right now. The time of year when all the graduates of 2009 recieve their x-ring and have a series of celebrations and photo opps displaying the piece of jewelary their whole education earned. Its pretty much even bigger then graduation itself. It got me thinking.

Growing up I was pretty much pressured to go to X. Not because the school offered me what I wanted, but because its a university thats prestigous and highly appreciated by members of the community and if you live in the nish - its pretyy much expected. Not that this is overly bad. X is a great school, I would never say otherwise.

I went to X for a year, in a general arts degree. I lived on residence, which many people who are from the nish don't do. I realized I did not fit into to the culture there....the "lets get drunk every day, show up to class hungover and have cheer offs with other residences" culture. Of course, my few is different from a lot of locals because i did live on res and I was in the thick of the X culture.

When I came to the mount, everyone hung out with everyone, and though "party schools" are considered cool and lets face it - the mount isn't known for that, my days at the mount were some of the funnest days of my life.

At X, I felt I wasn't doing what I was meant to do. I felt it was very concerned with status and being the "best" and I wasn't so much concerned about attending a school thats more focused on its status then its students. Not only that but hardcore x-ers are almost scarey when it comes to other people not liking their school. People make fun of the mount all the time, but I don't really need to get my panties in a twist about it. Everyone's different and untill you experience a university yourself and figure out whats right for how you learn, you'll never really know.

I did enjoy my classes at X and will never regreat going there. It tauight me alot, and although it wasn't for me - others go there and strive. To each their own. It wasn't for me but I gave it a shot. Its just weird to think, had I stayed...what would my life be like?

I'm so happy I got into PR. Even though, after this work term, I realize there are other career areas I like to explore, this degree has given me so many opportunities and experiences that will valuably contribute to whatever I do next.

I don't even want to leave my current work term. Thats how much I love it here.

I may not recieve an X Ring when I graduate, and we all know if the shiny gold ring is on your finger people are sure to notice and immmediatly connect you to the St.FX Instiution. But I will get a degree thats tailored to the direction I am heading in...so when that moment comes I will be proud.

Thats my two cents.

I think about the What Ifs way too much....

No comments: